The UNO Lightyear game is a variation of the classic UNO card game with a Disney Pixar “Lightyear” theme. UNO Lightyear card game is inspired by the beloved Toy Story franchise, this version features all our favorite characters like Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie, Rex, and Hamm. Each card in the 108 card deck represents one of the toys and includes their signature special abilities.
The basic rules are similar to regular UNO, where you match colors and numbers to discard cards. But here’s where it gets exciting – certain character cards let you take extra turns, skip opponents, or even switch the direction of play. I thought it would be a wonderful way for you to chill together while enjoying the tricks of our animated friends.
How to Play UNO Lightyear
In the standard UNO game, players take turns matching a card from their hand to the top card of the discard pile based on either the number, color, or symbol. Special cards like “Skip,” “Reverse,” and “Wild” cards add strategic elements to the game.
To play UNO Lightyear, you may expect to find cards featuring characters from the “Lightyear” movie or themed special cards, but the exact rules may vary based on the provided theme. It is a card game like regular UNO but with Toy Story characters. There are 108 cards in the deck. The cards have numbers and colors on them. They also have Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie, Rex, and Hamm from Toy Story.
We take turns matching the cards by color or number. But the character cards do special things. Buzz lets you take another turn. Woody lets you pick the next player. Jessie makes the next player draw more cards. Rex skips their turn. Hamm changes which way we play. Here are the rules for Uno Lightyear:
- Objective: The objective of Uno Lightyear is the same as traditional Uno – to be the first player to get rid of all your cards.
- Card Types: Uno Lightyear includes special cards like “Hyperspeed Wild Cards” which can add excitement to the game. The rules for these unique cards may vary, but according to one source, the Hyperspeed Wild Card allows you to move one card to the left when played.
- Numbered Cards: Numbered cards (0-9) can be played if they match the color or number of the card on top of the discard pile.
- Special Action Cards: Action cards (Skip, Reverse, Draw Two) have the same functions as in traditional Uno and can be played to disrupt your opponents’ progress.
- Wild Cards: Wild Cards allow you to change the color in play and can be played at any time.
- Winning: Remember to say “Uno” when you have one card left. Failure to do so and being caught by another player will result in drawing two cards as a penalty.
Uno Lightyear Cards
The deck contains 108 cards – 90 number cards ranging from 0 to 9 in different colors (red, blue, green, yellow) plus 18 special cards like Draw 2, Skip, Reverse, etc. The cards are illustrated with all your favorite Toy Story pals like Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie, Rex, and Hamm.
The basic rules are similar to regular UNO – take turns matching the color or number of the card previously played. The first player to discard all their cards by calling out “UNO!” is the winner. But this version adds extra excitement with character-themed special abilities on certain cards:
- Buzz cards allow you to take an extra turn
- Woody cards let you pick who’s next
- Jessie cards make the next player draw 3
- Rex cards skip the next player’s turn
- Hamm cards reverse the direction of play
There are 90 number cards in the deck ranging from 0 to 9. Each number comes in four colors – red, blue, green, and yellow – just like regular UNO cards.
Then there are 18 special cards that have unique abilities:
- Draw Two cards: The next player must draw two cards from the deck.
- Reverse: Changes the direction of play – from clockwise to counterclockwise or vice versa.
- Skip: Allows you to skip the next player’s turn so they don’t get a chance to play.
- Wild: The player can choose a new color to play.
- Wild Draw Four: Same as the Wild card, but the next player must also draw four cards.
Now for the fun part – each of these special cards features one of the Toy Story characters. So the Buzz Lightyear cards let you take an extra turn when played. Woody cards let you pick who goes next. Jessie means your opponent draws three cards instead of two. Rex skips their turn completely. And Hamm makes the player go in the other direction.
Here are simple explanations of the special Toy Story character cards:
- There are cards with Buzz Lightyear on them. When you play a Buzz card, you get another turn after your first turn. So you can play two times in a row!
- The Woody cards let you pick who plays next. So if your friend played a Woody card, they can choose if it’s your turn or someone else’s turn after them.
- Jessie’s cards are fun too. If someone plays a Jessie card, then the next person has to pick up 3 more cards from the pile instead of just 2 like normal.
- Watch out for Rex! When a Rex card is played, the next person doesn’t get their turn at all. They have to skip their go.
- And the last special card has Hamm from Toy Story on it. If this card is played, then we have to change direction and go the other way when picking who plays next.
Does this help explain what the Toy Story character cards can do, Please comment down if you want further details. I hope we get some good ones to help us win when we play. It will be so much fun!
Uno Lightyear Rules
The game is played with a deck of 108 cards that has numbers, colors, and special Toy Story character cards.
- One player passes out 7 cards to each player. The rest of the deck stays face down in the middle.
- The first player puts a card from their hand down on the table. It can be any card.
- Then the next player has to match the card by color or number. So if a red 5 is played, they can play a red card or a 5.
- If they can’t match, they draw from the pile until they get one they can play.
- When someone plays their last card, they yell “UNO!” This means they have one card left.
- The special character cards let you do extra fun things like get extra turns with Buzz or pick who plays next with Woody.
- If someone plays a Draw 2 or 4 card, the next player draws that many and misses their turn.
- The game keeps going until one player runs out of cards and yells “UNO!” That person wins!
In conclusion, I hope you’re as excited to play UNO Lightyear together, my lovely readers! Combining the classic UNO gameplay with everyone’s favorite Toy Story characters makes for a fun, interactive experience. It’s sure to bring smiles as we try different strategies using Buzz, Woody, Jessie, and the gang.
Other Uno Card Games
Can you play with more than 2 players?
Yes, UNO Lightyear is designed for 2-10 players. The more the merrier!
What if we get stuck with cards we can’t play?
If you can’t match by color or number, you must draw from the pile until you’re able to play a card.
What happens if someone forgets to say “UNO!”?
If caught not saying “UNO” when down to their last card, they have to draw 2 extra cards as a penalty.
Can we make up our own rules?
You’re welcome to tweak the rules however you’d like, as long as all players agree. The goal is to have fun!