The Garbage Card Game, also known as Trash or Ten, is a fun and easy card game for 2 to 6 players. The game’s objective is to be the first player to arrange a set of 10 cards in ascending order, from Ace to Ten.
Cards and Components
To play the Garbage Card Game, you will need one or more standard 52-card decks, depending on the number of players:
- 2–3 players: One deck
- 4–6 players: Two decks
- 7–8 players: Three decks
You will also need a flat surface to lay out your cards and a way to keep score.
Garbage Card Game Rules
Before the game begins, shuffle the cards and deal 10 cards face down to each player. Players should not look at their cards but arrange them in rows of five cards each. This is their hand.
The remaining cards are placed face down in the center of the table as the draw pile. The top card of the draw pile is turned over and placed next to it to form the discard pile. The player to the left of the dealer goes first, and the game proceeds clockwise.
Here are the rules of the Garbage Card Game:
- You need one or more decks of cards, depending on how many people are playing.
- Each player gets 10 cards face down and arranges them in two rows of five cards.
- The rest of the cards are in the draw pile. The top card is the discard pile.
- The player to the dealer’s left goes first; then, the game goes clockwise.
- On your turn, you can draw a card from the draw pile or take the top card from the discard pile.
- You place the card face up in the spot that matches its number. For example, a 3 goes in the third spot, an Ace in the first spot, and a 10 in the last spot.
- Jokers and Kings are wild cards and can go in any spot. If you get the card that goes in the spot where a wild card is, you can swap them and move the wild card somewhere else.
- If the card you get does not match any spot, you discard it and end your turn.
- The first player to fill up their 10 spots with cards in order from Ace to Ten wins the round.
- The winner gets zero points, and the others get one point for each card left in their hand.
- The game can be played for several rounds until someone reaches a specific score. The player with the lowest score wins the game.
How to Play Garbage Card Game
On your turn, you have two options:
- Draw a card from the draw pile and place it face up in the corresponding spot in your hand. For example, if you draw a 3, place it in your hand’s third spot. If you draw an Ace, you place it in the first spot. If you draw a 10, you place it in the last spot.
- Pick up the top card of the discard pile and place it face up in the corresponding spot in your hand. You can only do this if the card matches the spot you need.
If the card you draw or pick up does not match any spot in your hand, you discard it face up on top of the discard pile and end your turn.
There are two special cards in the game: Jokers and Kings. These wild cards can be placed in any spot in your hand. However, if you later draw or pick up the card that matches the spot where a wild card is, you can swap it and move it to another spot.
How to Win Trash/ Garbage
The first player to fill their hand with 10 cards in ascending order, from Ace to Ten, wins the round. They score zero points for the round, and the other players score one point for each card left in their hand.
The game can be played for a predetermined number of rounds or until one player reaches a certain score, such as 10 points. The player with the lowest score at the end of the game is the winner.